- Commercial arrangements – from heads of terms/short form agreements to complex/long-standing arrangements
- Creative services agreements (both client and supplier-facing)
- Fundraising arrangements, including corporate & celebrity partnerships and co-branding deals
- Sponsorship agreements and event management
- Technology development and licensing including SaaS arrangments
- Creation, protection and exploitation of copyright, design rights and trademarks
- Content acquisition, licensing and distribution
- Advertising and marketing clearances
- Format development and exploitation and production advice
- Creation, exploitation and disposal of IP rights
- Protection of confidential information
- Commercial law and IP training
- Solicitor of England & Wales 2000
- Diploma in Personal Performance (in progress) and NLP Practitioner Qualification, The Coaching Academy 2016-2017
- Postgraduate Diploma in UK, EU & US Law of Copyright & Related Rights, Kings College London 2004-2005
- 1995–1997 BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course and Postgraduate Diploma in Law (CPE), BPP Law School 1195 - 1997
- BA Hons. American Literature, University of Sussex 1991–1995 University of Sussex
Alex is a highly engaged Commercial, Intellectual Property and Media lawyer with over twenty years experience in private practice and in house. As well as building exceptional technical legal skills, through managing legal teams Alex has developed valuable training, mentoring, leadership and coaching skills which she uses alongside her legal expertise to help clients and businesses achieve their strategic objectives.
Alex began her legal career with market-leading media law firm Olswang, qualifying into the Film and TV Department. She then joined Universal Pictures International’s legal team and was later promoted to UK Director of Legal and Business Affairs, where she managed the team specialising in acquiring content for the UK home entertainment market. As Group Legal Counsel for several Omnicom Advertising Agencies, Alex negotiated commercial deals between agencies and their FTSE 100 clients as well as other creative suppliers and outsourcing arrangements. She also advised on compliance (including the CAP Codes, Ofcom Codes and Data Protection law), Intellectual Property rights (copyright, designs, patents, trademarks) and Employment/HR issues (employment policies and employee rights, disciplinary proceedings and restructures). In 2012, Alex moved to Cancer Research UK to head up the Fundraising and Marketing legal team, becoming Joint Head of Legal in 2015. In addition to building an excellent legal function, she advised on a multitude of matters, including high profile events such as the launch of ‘Stand Up to Cancer’ with Channel 4 and the London Art Trail featuring DNA-inspired sculptures by world renowned artists.
Since 2017 Alex has been a visiting lecturer in Commercial Law and Intellectual Property at BPP Law School. Her current practice includes negotiating deals and arrangements for start-ups as well as established companies, drafting/reviewing templates and advising on clients’ IP portfolios.